Lady in red

Well, it is officially winter here. I can no longer deny it or pretend the cold weather will go away soon because my wishful thinking cannot cancel morning frost, cold southern wind and gloomy gray skies.


But fear not! There is a way to brighten up winter days! I think R's new red jacket has the ability to do just that!

It looks like Puperita's Little Red Riding Hood Jacket pattern has become my go to... well... jacket pattern. I have used it twice already and both garments got a lot of wear. Just click on a photo to read a corresponding post.


It is amazing to see how much my daughter has changed over the past two years! Blogging about my sewing projects also helps me document R's growth. She has grown so much! But she is still the same loving, caring and gentle girl I have always known. I keep on telling her she is my ray of sunshine, and she keeps on giggling in response saying she is not a ray of sunshine, she is a big girl :)

She is certainly getting bigger. Just a couple of months ago both of the jackets still fit her well. Then one cool morning a few weeks ago we were getting ready for kinder, and oh horror! it seemed that her jacket shrunk overnight!

While she was sleeping I made a new winter jacket for my daughter. I used the first version of my cape and some left over red wool fabric to make the outer layer. Lining is made from quilting cotton I used to make this dress for R a while back. I cut size M (4-5) width and size L length.


I love the details of this jacket, like these cute pockets and carved wooden buttons. R likes big sticks.


I like the bell-shaped cuffs on the sleeves. R likes muddy puddles.


I like the shape of the hood. R likes big rocks.


Told ya! She can't walk around them, she always has to climb over them!


I like the fit of the jacket that allows R to explore, play, climb, run and do all the other necessary things four year old children do. Including jumping on park benches.


But most of all I love the girl wearing this jacket :)

29 comments

  1. I've been debating whether or not to try winter jackets for my girls. This is certainly inspiring me to have a go!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Wen. I was a little anxious making the first coat, but once I started I was surprised how well it went. Certainly worth a try!

      Delete
  2. I love that jacket Jenya! It really is a little red riding hood...and R is really geting big!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mieke. I just love the shape of this jacket! and I think R needs to stop growing up so fast! We applied for two schools today... I am in denial!

      Delete
  3. Love this Jenya and it's so PERFECT! Those pockets are super cute. She looks adorable, it's amazing how fast these kids are growing. :D I also think blogging is a good way to store some memories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that red colour, the jacket is simply beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Krista. The jacket has cute details but still is a really easy and fun sew! it was a perfect starting point, and I obviously still love it :) I have Puperita's Tiger jacket ready to assemble.

      Delete
  5. I think my girls would get on very well with R - how could they not, with a mutual love of rocks, sticks and puddles? The jacket is just precious. I love those pockets and the buttons you chose. I did not know about this pattern but I will have to check it out before fall rolls around here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If your girls also like cars, trains, dinosaurs and dragons they will be best friends forever ;)

      Delete
  6. Cute, cute jacket! I love the red and that hood and pockets are great, you're right!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elizabeth. This pattern has such great details!

      Delete
  7. Gorgeous jacket. Perfect in red. Which reminds me I must finish a jacket that I started over a year ago, it's already too small for my 7 year old but it will fit my 3 year old if I get a move on.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it! Looks like a great pattern and so well sewn!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Suz. I do love this pattern. I think the style suits R well.

      Delete
  9. A gorgeous jacket, Jenya and I love it in the red. You choose the best buttons in your projects. Beautiful photos, too!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pam. It takes me forever to choose buttons! Maybe because I have too many?

      Delete
  10. I really love that jacket. So pretty, but at the same time absolutely kid appropriate. Much more than a coat or so. Might have to copy it once we had into fall/winter...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Annika. I love coats, but jackets seem to be more comfortable to monkeying around. And I totally agree - the jacket is classy and yet totally kid appropriate.

      Delete
  11. I LOVE this jacket SO much. Instant classic! You can never go wrong with a red jacket/coat!! Love!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mie :) Red is my fave colour, so I totally agree ;)

      Delete
  12. The jacket is really sweet and your daughter even sweeter! And I love reading your posts. They are so funny, amusing and so full of love! I understand you so much! I also call my daughter "my ray of sunshine" (mon rayon de soleil; moje slniecko)! Sometimes I feel like you were reading my thoughts and I am asking myself if it is possible that somebody else feels exactly the same as me :-D Incredible! Continue blogging please and recording your daughter´s growth. I was recently thinking about this - I found out that I have almost more photos made for the blog than I have the family photos :-D And I looked back at my older posts and wondered how is it possible that time passes so quickly?! And then I read your post and see you were thinking about it as well! A big hug from Brussels!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind and encouraging words Zuzana :) Isn't it amazing how we think so similar :) I love it when it happens. I suppose being mums who are totally in love with their rays of sunshine it is understandable we share such similar feelings. I never knew that such deep love existed until R was born. And yeah, I definitely have more photos taken for the blog than family photos!

      Delete
  13. Thank you Amy, you are very kind as always (and I agree, I also think LM is a sweetie hehe).

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the jacket, it is so beautifully made! Love all three, but this one is my favorite. Red hooded jacket is adorable on a little girl. We are having hot, humid days...it would be nice to feel a little chilly breeze ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Annie. Isn't it funny how we dream of the opposite of what we are experiencing at times :) I also wish for cooler weather when we are in a middle of a 40-something C stretch... Now it is cold, windy and wet and I am waiting for summer :) A red jacket will help R stay warm and have fun outside for now :)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment.